Over 35 years ago J. Hopkins was built on a set of strong ethical values, and while the world has moved on considerably since 1973, those same values still underpin our business.
In today’s fast-moving and increasingly unpredictable business environment, the need for ethical, socially responsible and sustainable practices has never been so critical. At J. Hopkins, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainability is much more than just good business practice, it is integral to the way in which we operate. It’s what drives us forward as a business, helping us to make informed decisions on a daily basis that have effected positive change on an economic, social and environmental level.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
With climate change already affecting the lives of millions of people, the fragility of the world we live in has never been so apparent. At J. Hopkins we have always adopted a proactive stance over environmental issues, and so, as well as taking steps to lower our own carbon footprint, we have pledged to help our customers, supply chain and employees do the same.
As part of our continued commitment to responsible production, we also carefully manage local environmental issues such as land use, resource consumption, waste, energy consumption, emissions to air, water, land and noise.
- Continuously working to achieve outstanding performance in environmental practice by minimising our environmental impacts
- Conserving biodiversity and safeguarding heritage
- Restoring sites sensitively
Efficient use of Natural Resources
- Optimising our use of natural resources, reducing waste, reducing water use and actively recycling
- Optimising the use of recycled/secondary materials
- Helping customers to develop sustainable opportunities to use recycled materials
- Proactively improving our energy efficiency and raising awareness
Greenhouse Gas Management
- Reducing the use of fossil fuels
- Complying with greenhouse gas legislation
- Adapting to climate change
- Proactively reducing emissions of carbon dioxide
PROVIDING FOR PEOPLE
Since we were founded in 1973, the wellbeing of everyone connected to J. Hopkins has been central to the success of our business. We pride ourselves on forging strong working relationships with all our employees, contractors, customers and suppliers. We are always open, honest and ethical in all of our working practices and we endeavour to ensure that any work we undertake is done with the utmost care and consideration for the local community.
- Developing our business responsibly, creating value for both our employees and customers
- Demonstrating effective governance of the business and its sustainability performance
Health and Safety
- Achieving and maintaining the highest standards of health and safety for all employees, contractors and members of the public
- Seeking to eliminate injury and ill health resulting from our activities
- Managing our business ethically and with integrity
- Being understanding, straightforward, responsive and reliable in our dealings with employees, customers and suppliers
- Playing an active role in our many communities
- Actively developing a talented and diverse workforce
- Being open and ethical